Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Priorities: Golf Balls and Jelly Beans

A story that I heard years ago has been popping into my head this morning, and I think that I will take it to heart today.

I heard the story at a women's conference, and it was an illustration about priorities.

We all have a lot on our plates.  Many responsibilities pull and tug at us.

So picture this...

We all have a jar.

Our true priorities...our responsibilities, are golf balls.


The things that distract us...that suck us in, and can easily waste our time, are jelly beans.


Jelly beans are fun, and bright, and sooo much more attractive and distracting than plain old golf balls!

I would tend to pick jelly beans over golf balls any day!



The point was, that the jar (like our day), is only so big.  


It can only hold so much.

If we have 5 golf balls, we need to make sure there is room for them.

If we scoop our jelly beans in, and then add the golf balls on top, chances are, they won't all fit.

But, if we put our golf balls into the jar, and THEN the jelly beans, we are more likely to see results!

Jelly beans are so fun, and pretty that they beg for attention, but golf balls make life more manageable for everyone in my family (including myself!).

Today, my golf balls are lessons with kids, housework, laundry, paying bills, and planning dinner.  (I have already put in my devotional golf ball today! Yea!)

So, as tempting as it is to be distracted by all of the pretty jelly beans, I'm off to take care of my golf balls.

If I play my cards right, I should still have some jelly bean time at the end!

What are your golf balls today?

Writing the Waves,
Christi

2 comments:

mer@lifeat7000feet said...Best Blogger Tips

Great analogy, Christi.

Well....since we have another "too cold to get out in this weather/windchill day" I have very few golf-balls. Laundry, menu planning, and shower are the only ones I have to put in my jar. Oh, and get to church tonight BUT I get to eat dinner there so that makes me happy. Today is filled with lots of jellybeans but tomorrow is gonna kick my rear so I'm enjoying it while it lasts. :)

Jamie said...Best Blogger Tips

Thank you for leaving your comment on my blog...
I appreciated your post so much. It's so easy to fill our days with the meaningless before we even endeavor to do the meaningfull. That will stick with me for a very long time!

Great to "meet" you!

Jamie Taylor

 
Design by Deluxe Designs