Friday, February 4, 2011

My 8 Favorite Homeschool Resources

Yes, I know that it is only February, but as a homeschool mom, I am always trying to think ahead, and work to make our courses as interesting and effective as possible...so yes, I'm already thinking ahead to next year!

We have actually had a really great year with our curriculum, and so believe it or not, unless something sweeps in and changes my mind (which I'm always open to), next year we will stick with these 8 resources that have been working well for us.

1) ALEKS online math curriculum-  This year Christian did Pre-Algebra, and we have been very pleased with the program.  Next year, we plan to stick with Aleks for Algebra.  They offer a free trial, which is what we used this summer before making the decision to switch from Teaching Textbooks.


2) Sonlight History- I really like how Sonlight merges resource books with historical fiction books to create a richer, more in depth picture of history.  This year we are doing our 2nd year of World History, and next year we will do US History.


3) Wordly Wise Vocabulary- This was our first year to use Wordly Wise.  It is a great, easy to use, yet challenging vocabulary curriculum. 


4) ABeka Grammar and Composition-  I like how thoroughly the ABeka workbook introduces and explains each new concept.  Last year we used Easy Grammar and Daily Grams, but I have found ABeka to be a little better at presenting the information.  We will continue with ABeka next year.


5) Spelling Power- This is a great spelling book that can be used from age 8 to adult. 


6) Apologia Science- Christian is doing Physical Science this year, and will be moving to Biology for 8th grade.  We will probably supplement the course with Red Wagon Tutorials.


7) IEW Writing- The Institute for Excellence In Writing is a thorough program.  It took me a while to get it all figured out, but once you get rolling, it leads the student step by step through continually advancing writing techniques.


8) Lizardpoint Geography-  I just came across this recently, but both Christian and I really think it is great.  It is a free online geography "game" that allows the student to master each part of the world, one area at a time. Right now, Christian is mastering Africa.  Before I found Lizardpoint, we were using our interactive globe to look up the areas that we were studying in history.

Caylie attends the homeschool high school co-op in our city, and will continue to do so (as well as taking classes at the community college), next year, when she is a...

SENIOR! 

Aagh!  Did I just type that?!?! 

Please excuse me while I take a quick break...sniff, sniff...

Ok...moving on...

The only classes that she is doing at home this year, are history, grammar, and vocabulary.  She is using the same resources as I listed above, only at the high school level, and next year will be the same.

Also, both kids do Christian World View here at home, which I have just put together using monthly memory verses, and daily readings.  The last book that we covered was Rick Warren's "Purpose Driven Life", which I love, and now Christian is reading "Live Like A Jesus Freak", by DC Talk, while Caylie is reading her Bible.

What homeschool resources do you love?

Writing the Waves,
Christi

Hip Homeschool Hop Button

13 comments:

Sam said...Best Blogger Tips

I am interested in hearing more about your switch from TT to Alexs. We use TT. If you could email me with the answer or let me know on my blog you left the answer, I'd love you forever..I'll never remember to check back ans see :) Thanks for visiting my blog!

Sam said...Best Blogger Tips

wow! That was a lot of info, thanks! It looks like it would be higher than TT. Do you pay monthly or one of the subscriptions? Maybe I could put my high-school-in-the-fall Christian in it, since he has the biggest struggle with math, and do Horizons with our will be 6th grader Hannah. They are both doing TT this year. I balanced out the expense with the reuse factor...

Coupon Queen said...Best Blogger Tips

Wow, that was a ton of information!! I would love to blog about the cost effectiveness of home schooling. I already know the education and moral effectiveness of it but since I blog about savings that would sure interest me, do you get any sort of reimbursement from the state for teaching at home? I also LOVE the idea of the home school co-op, I had no idea something like that was available. As you may have guessed my hubby and I don't have children so this is an area I have 0 knowledge in. I stopped by on the Sat. Blog hop and am now following. Have a great weekend! :)

Mozi Esme said...Best Blogger Tips

Thanks for sharing your recommendations! I'm always looking for what's working... :)

Unknown said...Best Blogger Tips

That is a lot of information. Thank you for sharing it. I am following your blog and very excited to look around for a bit.

If you would be interested in a challenge I have one going on over at my blog. Here is the link: http://lynishiskid.blogspot.com/2011/01/day-in-our-life-blog-hop-woman-of-noble.html

Have a blessed day, and thank you for your wonderful blog.

Unknown said...Best Blogger Tips

Thank you also for linking to NOBH. We are always excited to see new bloggers join.

Jennifer said...Best Blogger Tips

Thanks for sharing your curriculum choices! I have been thinking about what we're going to do next year since before Christmas! It's never too early, I guess.

~Jennifer

Anonymous said...Best Blogger Tips

Wonderful post!

I'm stopping by via the Saturday hop to say hello and to follow. You can visit me at http://poshonabudget.com/2011/01/another-snowy-saturday.html.

Have a great rest of your weekend!

Mommy D said...Best Blogger Tips

What a great post and GREAT resources! Thanks for linking up on the Mystery Post Blog Hope this week on Mommy D's Kitchen. I hope you come back on Monday when it's reset to enter a new post :)

The Adventurer said...Best Blogger Tips

hi Found you on NOBH and am now following. I love reading about homeschoolers as we are a home schooling family too:) Hope you will stop by and consider following too.

The Pennington Point said...Best Blogger Tips

We really should have talked more at Blissdom! We have a lot in common.

We love the Apologia sciences, Spelling Power and IEW. This year we are doing AIG study of the Romans & the Reformation. Have you done that? It's wonderful!

Thanks for the list. I love knowing what other moms like. Lisa~

asliceofsmithlife said...Best Blogger Tips

Hi! I found you through the NOBH I'm co-hosting with Lynda and Anna-Marie! Thanks for linking up this great post as we enjoy meeting new bloggers! I homeschool also so it's always great to see which resources other homeschoolers use! Thanks for sharing your choices! I have used IEW in the past with my oldest. I'm your newest follower and I love all your Shabby Blog buttons as I have the same buttons on my blog :)

Anonymous said...Best Blogger Tips

I am always looking and researching to see what is out there in the homeschool world. Thanks for posting this. I look forward to seeing what everyone is using. We currently use all ABeka for 3rd grade, but are considering "mixing it up" a bit next year. Visiting from NOBH.

 
Design by Deluxe Designs