Monday, February 7, 2011

A Family Favorite Recipe...Black Beans, Beef and Rice

I recently prepared a new recipe for my family, and it was a big hit with everyone!

I love it when that happens...because it seems like SOMEONE in our family (...a cute little opinionated 4 year old), turns his nose up at most anything that is not Mac N Cheese these days!

Anyone know the feeling?

What makes it even better, is that it is gluten free, so our whole crew can enjoy it....which has become a requirement around here.

I have made it twice so far, and the last time, we decided that when I make it again, I should do a double batch!

Black Beans, Beef and Rice

4 slices of bacon, cut into 1" pieces
1 lb. lean ground beef
1/2 c chopped onion
green pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1C long grain rice
1C water
14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
15.5 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 1/2 t dried Italian seasoning
1t salt
1C shredded mozzarella cheese

Cook bacon in large skillet on medium heat.  Add beef, onion, pepper, and garlic.  Cook, stirring often, until beef has browned.  Add water, rice, tomatoes, beans, Italian seasoning, and salt.  Mix well.  Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until liquid is absorbed and rice is done (20 min. or so).  Sprinkle with cheese

 Give it a try, and I bet it will be a crowd pleaser at your house too!

If you happen to have a picky kid or two wandering around your house, check out Jenny's new series, "Meals Kids Love"!  

Writing the Waves,
Christi

Here's where I'm linking up...
It's a Keeper
Miz Helen’s Country Cottage

4 comments:

Adventures as a Small Town Mom said...Best Blogger Tips

Yum! I will have to add this to my meal planner for next week. Thanks for the recipe.

Just Wedeminute said...Best Blogger Tips

Found you on the blog hop! Hope you can hop over and visit sometime soon
http://wedemeyerfamily.blogspot.com/
Looks like a yummy recipe, I'm going to add it to my collection!

Christi @ Writing the Waves said...Best Blogger Tips
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mommy D said...Best Blogger Tips

Thanks for posting on the Mystery Post Blog Hop this week. Great recipe! Going to have to give this a try :)

 
Design by Deluxe Designs